Sunday, April 26, 2009

The best the world has yet to offer

*I bet you saw this type of post coming. Now what would a school blog be if it didn't have a post about the best teacher?

Pn Aishah

She's been teaching me English since last year. I know mostly NOTHING about her other than she's the best English teacher I've ever had (other than Mrs Tan, Form 2). She talks a lot and quite loudly too. I went to her house once, last year. And that's pretty much it. She marks my test paper. She gave the scores for my oral tests. Everything I know about English for the last two years I know from her.

But most importantly, I trust her.

I let her read some of the stories I wrote that even my family don't know about. I let her criticize me because I believe in her judgement. She's funny. She's kind. She's sarcastic, some of the time. She's sardonic. She's beautiful and very tall (not sure how that has anything to do with anything at all, but still). And best of all, she's not as moody or as strict or as quickly-pissed-off or as Kathy-Bates-playing-Annie-Wilkes-type-of-obsess (oh, don't tell me you haven't read Misery by Stephen King) as some teachers might be. But the thing is, I never really consider her as the best teacher until quite recently.

Why the sudden realization?

Well, I've taken up quite a few tuition classes this year (read: SPM preparation). I've never gone to any tuition classes before so this would be a first for me.

The teacher at the tuition centre teaches like she's in primary school. Most likely because the students there are so weak in English (they have to memorise the meanings of certain words and such). I've come to be the best in that class. Now, in my class (5C, not the tuition centre), I've always see myself a bit behind of everyone else. Whatever I do is never good enough. My exam scores are never high enough. The stories I wrote are never interesting enough. My oral tests are never right enough. Et cetera.

But then I go back to the tuition centre (every Wednesday may I add), and what I see there is a class of unfortunate people. I feel sorry for them. I feel glad for myself. I thank God for my teachers at school. And then I've come to realize how good a teacher Pn Aishah is.

I may say stupid things during her class, but that's just me trying to be funny.

Nor Aishah bt. Zainal, you have no idea how much I appreciate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment